Copyright Notice

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other non-commercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the author, at the address below.

Sakmongkol ak 47

ariff.sabri@gmail.com

Saturday 12 December 2009

An afternoon with The Oracle of Syed Putra-1


 

ANOTHER AFTERNOON WITH THE ORACLE OF SYED PUTRA.

I count myself as one of the lucky people to be able to meet up with the Oracle of Syed Putra on a regular basis. I hope I shall be able to maintain his interest. Or deserving to be in his company.

His counsel is much sought after. By people from all walks of life. From Head of States to modern day peasants. To occasional busybody such as I. This is the man whose opinions could move and shake.  His considered opinions on local politics can only be ignored at our peril. 

Out of respect for The Oracle who prefers to remain incognito, I shall endeavour to uphold my promise. But I am very sure, to the very astute among us; they know ideas and thoughts reveal the man. It is therefore to their credit if they can more or less figure out the identity.

An oracle is a person or agency considered to be a source of wise counsel or prophetic opinion. It may also be a revealed prediction or precognition of the future, from deities, that is spoken through another object or life-form. In our times, let us just say, a person who is regarded as Oracle material is someone whose opinions are prescient.

In America of course, the term Oracle is often associated with Warren Buffet. He is the Oracle of Omaha. He is also known as The Sage of Omaha. His views on the stock market, on stocks and on business in general are, well, prophetic. He is also a billionaire. He is hailed as the greatest stock investor. His company is Berkshire Hathaway.

Our own Oracle who has his seat in Syed Putra has to a large extent achieved similar status. He is very successful. He has extensive business interests. More fittingly, it is his ideas and views on politics, economics which have proven, time and time again, prescient.

In ancient civilizations Oracles have played a crucial role in maintaining statecraft. Leaders sought their vision in order to rule properly. In China, the book of changes or I-Ching were a compilation of methods using linear signs that were used to govern life itself.  It was widely used by rulers.

In ancient Greece, much prominence was attached to the Oracle at Delphi. Croesus, king of Lydia beginning in 560 B.C., tested the oracles of the world to discover which gave the most accurate prophecies. He sent out emissaries to seven sights who were all to ask the oracles on the same day what the king was doing at that very moment. Croesus proclaimed the oracle at Delphi to be the most accurate, who correctly reported that the king was making a lamb-and-tortoise stew, and so he graced her with a magnitude of precious gifts.

In ancient India, the oracle was known as Akashwani.  Oracles played key roles in many of the major incidents of the epics Mahabharata and Ramayana. An example is that Kamsa the evil uncle of lord Krishna, was informed by an oracle that the eighth son of his sister Devaki would kill him.

Our own Oracle, I think should be a sought-out counsel by the leaders of this country. His intelligence network is extraordinary though he does not maintain any formal outfit to gather information. People come to him. He opens up to people. He listens and thereafter forms views, thinking on a variety of issues. He has always maintained- any leader must have an attitude of openness.

So I say, let us use him as leverage. We honour him that way. It's for the good of all.

I was requested to sit myself in waiting room number 1. I was glad I arrived earlier than the appointed time. I have been slotted to see the Oracle of Syed Putra at 4.30 pm.

Knowing that he is a fastidious person when it comes to keeping time, I had made every effort to be there on time. I had barely seated myself for 5 minutes on the comfortable leather sofa, his secretary, the Oracle's trusted and long serving assistant, told me I was to wait at the other waiting room.

The Oracle will see you in the other waiting room.

I duly complied. This waiting room was located beside the personal office of the oracle.

The Oracle will sit on the sofa with the seat pillow. You can sit on either of the side sofa.

Thanks Madam , I said.

I took the opportunity to run over the notes that I have written. A few days ago, I had sent over the e-mail, an outline of the questions I wanted to ask the Oracle.

I had structured the questions into those relating to the Economy, UMNO and MCA.

I then scribbled some additional questions I thought I might ask. 

The narration of the actual conversations with the Oracle of Syed Putra will be posted in due course.

4 comments:

de minimis 12 December 2009 at 16:17  

Bro

I can't wait for the next instalment :D

Manature 12 December 2009 at 23:53  

Sakmongkol, You are one of the few Malays who talk sense (except that post on ISA the politician) and I think Malaysia needs more of you for Malaysia to get out of the myriad problems we are currently and in the future experience. Please post more of the oracles of Oracle of Syed Putra so that we can judge if what you say about him/her/it is justified and if so, our leaders will listen.

Hopeful Malaysian (first) Chinese (second),  13 December 2009 at 00:31  

Datuk,

I think you are one of the few deserving of the Datuk title and we are hoping there will be more of Malaysians and especially Malays like you and perhaps the Oracle of Syed Putra and definitly Ungku Aziz who explained very well what our nation's founding fathers had in mind for Malaysia. See Malaysiakini: Forum speakers flay 'Ketuanan Melayu'.

We Malaysians, for the sake of our nation, look forward to more Malays like you and....

walla 14 December 2009 at 11:25  

..hopefully he doesn't have a lion as a pet from the dark continent to greet guests in that room...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP